There are lots of Shop Local sites around, but the online store we recently launched for Virginia's Growth Alliance is a bit different.
This groundbreaking project, funded by Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development, provides a free platform for businesses in Virginia's Growth Alliance economic development region to sell physical and digital products online, bringing support to local businesses on a world-wide scale.
- Buyers can purchase from several vendors in one transaction.
- PayPal distributes proceeds directly to each vendor.
- Vendors have full control of all of their products, including pricing and shipping.
- Vendors can create discount codes for use exclusively in buying their products.
- VGA is providing all setup, training, and presence on the website free of charge to vendors.
- A directory of currently 1200+ businesses is included, as not only retail sales are "shopping.”
VGA is comprised of 10 counties (Amelia, Brunswick, Buckingham, Charlotte, Cumberland, Greensville, Mecklenburg, Nottoway, Lunenburg, & Prince Edward), and the City of Emporia.
This rural region includes towns like the Designated Main Street Community of Farmville, home to Longwood University. The largest lake in the state of Virginia, Kerr Lake (Buggs Island), is also in VGA.
The store has launched with the initial 4 vendors: Birdie's Piment Cheese (scrumptious, and not sold in stores!), Cottage Barn (cool supplies and workshops for crafters), Fishin Pig (t-shirts & caps from this local-favorite restaurant), and Quilter's Nook (quilt patterns with exclusive Press & Peel appliqué to help anyone make a quilt).
Other vendors are in the process of being set up. If you're in the VGA region and have unique products that you would like to sell online, email us at to get the ball rolling.